Not that long ago, building a home gym was considered quite a luxury.
That all changed when the pandemic took a big cough-cough across the planet, forcing countless fitness centers and gyms to close and leaving us to get serious about working out while at home.
So, if you’re looking for some of the best compact home gyms in the market, we have a list below of home gyms that are ideal for big workouts and those with small space!
No matter what your current fitness levels or goals are, we’ve got a compact home gym that is right for you!
Top 7 Best Compact Home Gyms
1. Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym
The Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym offers more than 50 gym-quality workouts – chest, trunk, arms, back, shoulders, chest- and is upgradable for up to 310lb power resistance.
And if you’re wondering how to do a full-body workout or the mentioned 50 exercises in this compact home gym, it comes with an instructional workout instruction attached to the equipment.
We especially like that this home gym machine has comfortable ankle cuffs and hand grips, which can help add flexibility to your workouts. It also features upholstered roller cushions for leg extensions and curls.
In terms of durability, this compact home gym is made of a heavy-duty steel construction frame. Its no-change cable pulley system is also designed in such a way that you can quickly go from one workout to the next.
As to its noise, this compact home gym is very quiet, although you would hear some grating sounds when the pulleys shift on the loops that attach the supports.
Measuring 82” x 76” x 28,” this Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym may not be the most compact or space-saving machine but is definitely more than ready for your fitness goals.
- Offers over 50 gym-quality exercises
- Multi-use hand and grip ankle cuffs included
- Comes with an instructional workout placard
- Provides 5 to 210lb power rod resistance
- Heavy-duty steel construction frame
- No-change cable pulley system to easily go from one exercise to the next
- Upholstered roller cushions
- Works well for a general workout
- Few said when using the top cable pull-downs, the equipment leans forward from the base making it less steady
- The assembly instruction is good but incomplete
Interested? Click here to buy it!
2. Body-Solid G1S Selectorized Home Gym
The next home gym equipment that is also our favorite is the Body-Solid G1S Selectorized Home Gym. It makes a great option if you prefer a good quality multi-gym.
Its list of stations may be relatively short to other compact home gyms in this list, but it does allow you to do a full-body workout at home. For example, you can use the leg extension, bench press, and lat pull-down machine.
Available for the first time on Amazon, the Body-Solid G1S is the updated version of the EXM1500S home gym. The pulleys, design, pads, color, frame, and almost everything in this model have been updated to look and function better!
Requiring a floor space dimension of 49” L x 36” W x 83” H, this equipment is compact. It comes with a straight bar, lat bar, ab/triceps strap, ankle strap, convenient water bottle and towel holder, and a total body workout DVD.
- With chest press station, lat pulldown/high pulley station, ab crunch/mid pulley station, seated row/low pulley station, and leg extension/ leg curl station.
- A chrome-plated seat that delivers smooth and quick adjustments when exercising from one station to the next
- Good for users of all sizes
- Constructed using high manufacturing standards and finest quality steel aircraft cables
- Backed by Body-Solid lifetime in-home warranty
- Small footprint
- Incorrect instructions in the manual, such as in routing the Lat Pulldown cable. Although the rest of the details are well-thought-of
- Not easy to assemble (takes about 3 to 4 hours to some)
- The press arm feature somehow gets in the way of the overhead pulldown
Like what you see? Buy this product here today!
3. Fusion Motion Portable Gym
Next up, we have this well-constructed Fusion Motion Portable Gym. This home gym product is perhaps one of the easiest equipment to use.
In fact, it comes with only a few accessories, such as a wheel, a couple of handles, door anchor, elastic bands, bar, and handle push-ups. But make no mistake. All these accessories can help you train almost every muscle group in your body!
This is why the makers of this compact home gym promise gym-quality results wherever you are! You can easily assemble this portable gym while in your living room and effortlessly sculpt your lower and upper body with 8 different attachments!
- Good for intense workouts
- Built to handle heavy resistance bands
- Comes with an ab roller wheel, great for burning love handles
- Detailed guide with 200 exercises
- With recommendations for beginners, intermediate, and advanced – perfect for all skill levels and ages
- Heavy-duty reinforced steel bars
- Affordable vs. other compact home gyms
- Decent gym equipment, but may not be ideal for those who want a strict lift
- It takes a bit of a learning curve to utilize the equipment
Don’t miss out! Buy this product here before it’s gone!
4. WONDER CORE Smart Body Muscle Toning Equipment
The next budget pick on our list is the WONDER CORE Smart Body Muscle Toning Equipment. Just as its name suggests, this all-in-one tool is great for body toning and cardio.
Rather than buying a strength training that does not provide enough load nor properly support your fitness development in the long run, this product is a better option because it targets a variety of muscle groups in your body.
For example, you can target your glutes, thighs, obliques, abs, biceps, triceps, forearms, and calves. Aside from being portable, this could be your compact machine that also comes with an exercise DVD and fitness guide.
For best results, use this product in conjunction with a proper diet.
So, if you are looking for an efficient and lightweight workout tool, this could be the right compact home gym for you!
- Lightweight and more portable vs. other home gyms
- Good for stretching exercise and paired with a hand weight
- Easy to use and very easy set up
- Adjusts to the needs of the user
- Efficient workout method
- Does not offer a lot of resistance
Ready to buy it? Check out this link today!
5. Total Gym APEX Versatile Indoor Home Workout Equipment
The Total Gym APEX Versatile Indoor Home Workout Equipment can line up with your budget and fitness goals. It has 6 levels of resistance as well as 60+ exercises (fluid movements and low impact).
It is affordable full-body strength-building home workout equipment that includes a leg pull accessory, Total Gym TV access, nutrition and exercise guides, exercise wall chart, and DVD.
When you’re ready to level up, simply adjust the angle of this equipment to the glide board as it will give you more resistance. Best of all, this workout equipment folds flat and you can easily store it under your bed when not in use.
Overall, we find this indoor home workout equipment worth it and is a great way to make your own workout without paying for a gym membership.
- 6 levels of resistance
- 60+ exercises
- With more resistance so you stay challenged
- Very compact folds flat
- Accommodates up to 300lbs users
- Easy to assemble
- Good range of motion
- Great pumps, great strength
- Won’t replace traditional heavy squats, dumbbell/barbell presses; So it may not be the best option for advanced athletes
Convinced? You can buy the product here!
[You may also like: Gold’s Gym XRS 50 vs XR 55 comparison]
6. TRX All-in-One Suspension Trainer – Versatile Home Gym System
The TRX All-in-One Suspension Trainer – Versatile Home Gym System allows you to experience hundreds of cardio, strength, yoga, and other kinds of workouts in one suspension trainer.
This best compact home gym comes with a suspension anchor, a getting-started guide, a suspension trainer, and access to the TRX training club app. You can do seven foundational movements in this compact home gym equipment.
These include push, pull, plank, rotate, hinge, lunge, and squat. Compared to other compact home gyms, you can literally bring this with you wherever you go even in your travels!
It also comes with a locking loop that helps maximize its effectiveness without the risk of slipping. Built for durability and comfort, the integrated foot cradles and handles are designed for floor-based and standing exercises too!
- Provides everything you need to increase flexibility and build strength
- Good range of motion
- Provides a full-body workout
- Challenges and engages your core
- Great buy
- Adjusts easily
- Not as affordable compared to other suspension trainers in the market
- The app requires payment after the free-trial period
If you want to try it out, here’s where you can buy it!
[You may also want to check out: Monkii Bars vs TRX]
7. Marcy MWM-988 Multifunction Steel Home Gym
Last, but not least is the Marcy MWM-988 Multifunction Steel Home Gym. The brand itself is popular in the world of fitness and for a good reason. They specialize in fitness equipment that provides the best value for your money.
This home gym equipment is a rock-solid choice for beginners and intermediate level. It is also loved by the budget crowd because it is not as expensive as other multifunction home gyms.
It even has a good build quality. It has a good quality weight stack and the relevant core workout stations that you need for a full-body workout. And since the more activities you can do with a home gym means the better, that’s what exactly you’ll get in this model.
It is compact too! Moreover, this gear comes with a 150-pound selectorized weight stack, which can be customized based on your skill level to avoid muscle screws when loading and unloading weight plates. There’s a safety lock that prevents unauthorized use of this equipment.
- Work your entire body
- With removable curl pad
- Convenient home gym
- With a safety lock to avoid unauthorized use of equipment
- Premium steel construction
- Dual-action press arms
- Full-body workout – leg extensions
- With dual-action butterfly arms/ press arms
- Instructions are easy to follow
- Not a professional gym quality equipment but great for home use
Excited to try this product? Shop Now!
Choosing a Compact Home Gym: A Buying Guide
How to Choose Your Best Compact Home Gym Equipment
How much space do you need? This is a very important consideration when buying a compact home gym. Some people buy fitness equipment only to find that it will not fit in the room or space provided. So, make sure to check it out first.
For instance, if you are buying the Weider Ultimate Body Works, know its exact external dimensions once assembled with all the possible attachments.
Weight capacity and overall construction
If you have taken a closer look at our choices above, you may have noticed that they have different designs and layouts. Each has a unique philosophy to fit and try the most exercises in a small footprint.
When buying fitness equipment, it is important to consider its weight capacity and overall construction to achieve the workout you intend it to be.
This is not just a question of how much you can afford, but how committed you are to your fitness goals. Note that you don’t really have to spend big if you are not rock-solid in your knowledge and commitment about your fitness goals and requirements.
Final Verdict: Which One Should You Buy?
Out of these best compact home gyms, our top pick would be the Body-Solid Compact Home Gym (G1S).
It is highly versatile gym equipment that can help you burn fat, tone your body, and sculpt your muscles! It has the smallest footprint on any Body-Solid home gym and delivers complete workouts for any home fitness area.
But if you prefer something that is portable, go for the TRX All-in-One Suspension Trainer – Versatile Home Gym System.
If you like this article, you might want to read our other reviews at ExpertFitness.org.