The Covid-19 lockdown restrictions led to the closure of health clubs and gyms, but it also paved the way for the demand for fitness devices and home gym equipment, like ellipticals, treadmills, exercise bikes, and Olympic weight benches.
From a global perspective, the home fitness equipment market even reached $9.49 billion in 2020 and is expected to stabilize at $8.62 billion in 2023, according to a recent report.
And when it comes to serious strength training, Olympic weight benches are an important piece of equipment.
Adding to their demand and popularity, some weight benches also come with a leg stabilizer and other attachments. These features allow users to not only do upper body workouts but target their lower body muscles too.
That is why in this article, I give you my personal recommendations of the best Olympic weight bench available in the market today.
My criteria of how I came up with this list of best Olympic weight benches and each product will be explained in detail. So, let’s get started.
Top 10 Best Olympic Weight Benches
1. Marcy Olympic Weight Bench – MD-857
The MD-857 Olympic weight bench boasts a back pad and an adjustable seat with a sliding track to help users maintain proper lifting positions. And with precise body alignment when using this adjustable Olympic weight bench, they reap the enhanced benefits of an intense workout.
I can say this is a study bench as it’s made of premium steel construction. It also uses vinyl and foam to make sure that this Olympic weight bench is comfortable and safe for users.
With an assembled dimension of 80″L x 47.5″W x 60″H, this equipment has a maximum weight capacity of 600lb, including the user’s weight and 300lb on bar catch.
For having a dual-function leg developer, preacher curls with curl handle and preacher curl pad, squat bar catch and adjustable bar catch, as well as additional storage space for weight plates, I can say this is a real workstation.
There are a total of 5 back pad positions, including upright, incline, decline, and flat to help users develop all areas of their pectoral and maximize their workout time.
Heavy lifters as this full-body workout bench can tolerate more weight pressures vs. standard weight bench. This is also ideal for fitness enthusiasts who prefer doing light to moderate home workouts.
- Easy to assemble. Bolts are marked and all wrapped upon delivery
- Plenty of space for wide grips
- Durable; the bench is made of premium steel
- Versatile; with five back pad positions
- With added storage space for weight plates
- Adjustable bar catch height for a proper and safe workout
- With dual-action leg developer
- Few customers said the padded bench wobble a bit, although not distracting
- Manual instructions could be written in a larger font
- The support bracket does not have a rubber coating
2. Marcy MD-879 – with Leg Developer and Squat Rack
The Marcy Adjustable Olympic Weight Bench MD-879 is next in our list of the best Olympic weight benches. Weighing 93 pounds and with an Olympic weight capacity of 600 pounds, this workout bench has an arm curl pad and adjustable back pad to accommodate flat chest press and incline exercises.
For easier access to the barbell, you simply have to adjust the height of the barbell crutches. There’s also a separate squat rack, where you can perform lunge exercises and walk-in squats. Some weight benches don’t have this additional feature, but it is important to give more flexibility to your training regimen.
This Marcy Olympic weight bench has a 14-gauge tubular steel frame that is powder-coated and is resistant to water damage and rust.
Use in basement or garage gym as it is constructed with water- and rust-resistant steel.
- Adjustable design
- It has a padded vinyl foam backrest pad and seats for comfort during lifts
- The steel frame is powder-coated and resistant to water damage and rust
- With separate squat rack
- Allows various workouts and can incorporate squat bar and bench press exercises
- 2-piece design
- 6 available support positions
- Not exactly a decline setting contrary to what is advertised. You just slide off
- Slightly wobbly – there is no stabilizing bar across the bottom front
3. Deltech Fitness Flat Olympic Weight Bench
This flat bench press from Deltech Fitness is a solid bench press that is made from 14 gauge steel tubing with tough powder-coated paint, meaning this fitness equipment is resistant to scratching and chipping.
And since no parts of this fixed flat bench press are moving, it is stable during your workout. There’s also a backrest pad that is 3” thick and constructed of high-density foam. Its overall simplicity gives it a high-quality, commercial feel that other Olympic weight benches don’t have.
Furthermore, the seat of this Olympic weight bench sits 18” off the ground – just enough height so your feet will sit firmly on the floor during your exercise. If you turn around the seat of this weight bench, you can do dumbbell exercises.
As for its bar catches, they are fully adjustable with 4 height adjustments and a spring-loaded pull-pin. Other features of this equipment that are worth mentioning are the zinc hardware and lock nuts that complete the build of this Olympic bench.
People who prefer a simple yet sturdy flat-only bench to add to their home gym.
- More affordable than other Olympic weight benches
- Comes with two bar catches that are fully adjustable
- 4 height adjustments
- High-quality Olympic weight bench
- Easy to put together
- The seat is firm and thick
- With scratch-resistant powder coating
- Easier on the neck when lifting heavier weights
- The backrest padding could have been extended a little further (4 to 5 inches) to the part that holds the bar
4. Gold’s Gym XRS 20 Adjustable Olympic Workout Bench
Offering multiple workout stations in one compact design, the Gold’s Gym XRS 20 Olympic weight bench is a versatile and solid option for those who want to stay fit.
You can do flat bench press exercises or full-body workouts with this home gym equipment as it’s an adjustable unit, meaning you can use it for flat benching, decline, or incline.
This Olympic bench has a sturdy steel frame and comes with a preacher pad so you can isolate your forearms and biceps while ensuring a proper workout form. Most Olympic weight benches cost between US$150 and $300 and this adjustable Olympic bench is within that range. So, I can say that it’s fairly priced for its features.
If branding is important to you, though, you may want to skip this home gym equipment because there are few online buyers who said they received a version without the company logo.
People who want to lift solo as this Olympic weight bench comes with built-in safety spotters.
- Allows you to give attention to upper and lower body
- Doubles as a preacher-curl bench
- Well-reviewed online
- Well-built and professional-looking
- Good value for money
- Easy to assemble
- Some users observed the unit is not a bonafide bench from Gold’s Gym, but rather a duplicate Weider design
- Not as stable with heavier weights. Be careful to observe proper weight limit
5. Marcy Competitor Adjustable Olympic Weight Bench – CB-729
One of the best Olympic weight benches I can recommend would be this Marcy competitor Olympic weight bench. It has a multi-position back pad so you can choose the position that will suit your exercise routine. Various configurations include chest, military, incline, and decline lifting positions.
This home gym equipment further has a dual-action leg developer to allow lower body exercises. For maximum comfort on knees and ankles, it comes with padded foam rollers too!
What I also like about this all-in-one Olympic weight bench is that it only needs minimal floor space when other Olympic benches.
Fitness enthusiasts who value an ergonomic Olympic bench press. The foam padding of this unit can resist heavy lifting (up to 600 pounds weight capacity).
- With foam grip handles and high-density padding in the back and set so you can exercise comfortably.
- With dual-action leg developer for lower body exercises
- Comfortable foam rollers that support the ankles and knees
- 2-inch thick padding in seat and back to reduce fatigue during exercise
- Allows back bad positions
- Affordable price
- It has a full manufacturer-backed warranty within two years upon purchase
- Has plastic caps that may come loss on some areas
- You need to use a 72-inch bar, not lower
6. Valor Fitness Olympic Weight Bench
Among the median range of Olympic benches available in the market today, this Valor Fitness BF-7 has strengths that superseded other benches.
First, it has a sturdy tripod base that is made out of a steel frame. Between the uprights and underneath the bench is where you’ll find the steel tube for extra stability when you’re lifting heavy loads.
This Valor Fitness Olympic weight bench also has adjustable safety catches with a 6” adjustment range.
This Olympic weight bench is likewise quick to assemble. There are also two racks that give different distances for your barbell.
Light commercial and home gym use as it is easy to store, and allows you to do a greater combination of workouts than you’d be able to perform in a standing position.
- Easy to assemble and store
- You don’t need a spotter, although it comes with a heavy-duty built-in spotter
- Sturdy base
- Dual-layered pad
- Comes with two separate stands for a barbell weight
- Combined equipment and user weight capacity only of 450lbs
- The seat is not adjustable
7. Body Champ BCB5860 Olympic Weight Bench with Preacher Curl Pad
For this next home gym bench press, I’d be putting the con right out so you’ll be informed.
The Body Champ BCB5860 Olympic weight bench only supports 180lb user weight. However, this does not mean it’s not a great full-body gym machine. What I even like about this Olympic bench is that it comes with a preacher curl attachment.
The seat of this Body Champ bench adjusts to 7 different positions and works well with most six and seven-foot barbells and set of weights. This is refreshing to see because you can tell people behind this product from Body Champ went out of their ad with as many attachments, like the preacher curl, with this product as possible.
It comes with a spring clip for its leg developer and an Olympic weight adapter too! The caveat of that, though, is that assembly becomes a lengthy process because of the added features.
The lad who is doing his best to bulk up from being the skinny guy, considering its weight capacity.
- 7-position adjustable seat
- Works well with 6 and 7-foot weight bars or sets
- Comes with a preacher curl pad and Olympic plate adapter
- Adjustable backrest
- Heavy-duty mainframe tubing
- Comfortable cushion
- Recommend user weight capacity is only 180lb
- Lengthy setup process and with intricate instructions
8. Ader Olympic Bench Press
This Olympic weight bench, as it appears to me, is high quality and does not take too much of your home space. It is suitable for Olympic weights with a 1,500lb capacity for its chrome bar.
The Ader Black Olympic bench press likewise comes with a 300 lb set of weights so you can get straight to weightlifting the moment it is delivered to you. The material of this bench itself is scratch-proof powder-coated.
Heavy-duty workouts as it can handle 1,200 lb weight.
- 1,200-pound capacity bar
- High-quality Olympic bench
- Durable powder coating
- Uprights are not adjustable 12-gauge two-inch square tube frame
- Some users find the arms of this bench too short
- Bench height is a little too high for average height people
9. Weider XRS 20 Olympic Workout Bench with Independent Squat Rack
Another competitively-priced Olympic weight bench that’s worth including in this list is the Ader Olympic bench. It feels high-quality because it also comes with useful features, such as the bicep curl and leg developer that enable you to target specific muscles.
Investing in this full-body workout bench means that you can forgo gym membership and instead exercise at home. This sturdy bench has five different bench positions, allowing you to do standard, incline, or decline bench presses.
The flexibility of the leg portion of Weider XRS 20 is also a plus so you can use it for hamstring curls, leg extensions, bicep curls, and wrist curls at just the right angle. In my opinion, however, this bench is not really gym-quality. It is ideal for home workouts, but maybe not really for serious bench pressing or for pro bodybuilders.
If you’re wondering what’s the significance of choosing a bench with a weight rack, it’s because you can do barbell presses while you maintain your back level. It also has a catch for added safety during your workout.
People who are trying to sculpt their body as these come with attachments that are suitable for a home workout routine.
- A sturdy bench with a built-in squat rack
- Adjustable backrest, uprights, and spotting arms
- A multi-use Olympic bench; allows 5 different bench positions
- With isolated bicep curl
- With preacher curl pad
- Weight capacity not that high
- Safety guards of the barbell not adjustable in height
10. Body-Solid Best Fitness BFOB10 Adjustable Olympic Folding Weight Bench
Last, but definitely not the least, is the Body-Solid Best Fitness BFOB10 Olympic bench. It has a leg extension (leg curls and leg developer) for complete training and you don’t just focus on your upper body.
This multipurpose fitness equipment is adjustable so you can easily switch between flat, decline, or incline positions during your weight lifting sessions or bench presses. For safety, this bench has a safety pull pin too!
Its weight capacity is up to 300-pounds, while the bench itself weighs 73-pounds.
A variety of dumbbell and barbell exercises. This is ideal for people living in small spaces because this is a folding bench.
- Folding space-saving design
- Uprights feature three heights
- You can lay this flat for bench and chest workout
- Has a leg extension (leg curls and leg developer)
- Durable steel frame
- Great value for a low price
- Instructions are not easy to follow
- The gap between the back pad and set is a little bit uncomfortable
What to Look for in an Olympic Bench/ Weight Bench
When choosing the right Olympic weight bench, the build quality is one of the most important things you should consider. Is it made from a heavy-duty steel frame? Can it handle Olympic-sized plates? If your answer is yes to these two questions, then it will help you feel safe and stable when using such an Olympic bench.
When it comes to weight capacity, it does not just include the barbel handle and the barbell, but also the user weight/ body weight. Most makers of Olympic weight benches, like Marcy or Power pro-Olympic bench brands, inform you of this but I’ll highlight it again for emphasis.
On average, Olympic weight benches have a maximum weight load of between 500lb and 700 lb, including the user weight.
With such a capacity, mid-weight people (about 250lbs) can still lift a bar that is equal to their body weight and the weight bench will still be fine.
One of the main reasons why some people quit their strength training exercises is because of the discomfort they feel. Remember that you are working out so it is important not to put your body in a highly uncomfortable situation.
That is why when searching for the best Olympic weight bench, choose padding that will be comfortable for your back while you are shredding your arms.
Leg Developer/ Leg Extension
Not all fitness enthusiasts may consider a leg extension unit important in an Olympic bench, but I do and I think you should too. Why? It’s sort of a bonus that you can work out your legs when you are not working out your chest and arms.
Aside from these features, you’ll also need to consider your fitness goals. Buying a weight bench may not be a smart move if your space is particularly tight. You’d rather invest in a fixed weight dumbbell if that’s the case.
How I Come Up with This List of Olympic Weight Benches
To come up with this selection of Olympic weight bench that will complement a commercial or home gym setup, I had to consider the following:
- customer reviews,
- selected brands I have seen being used in gyms and in 1-on-1 sessions with my clients,
- additional feature quality and inclusion,
- size when built,
- personal recommendations, and
- customer service ratings on companies’ websites.
Final Verdict: Which One Should You Buy?
My top choice in this post would be the Marcy Competitor Adjustable Olympic Weight Bench CB-729. This is because it’s a combination of an abundance of features, quality construction, and low price. It has a weight rating that you won’t expect at this price point.
The leg developer/ leg extension that comes with this bench is superb, giving you a leg workout to go along with chest and core exercises. The entire set is fairly easy and straightforward to assemble. It comes with helpful instructions.
But just to give you a heads up, you can’t use a 56” bar in this bench but only a 72” bar or higher. Probably, Marcy decided it that way to make sure that you will not encounter issues during your workouts.
Not only those. The ultra-durable padding is comfortable. Overall, you get the power and value of your money, making this bench a good addition to your home gym.
Before you begin with your workout, do remember that posture counts. I hope this review provides you the details and information you need to make an informed buying decision.